Thursday, September 10, 2015

Get Out Of My Bank Statement - And Other Jealous Stuff

Recently we were at a State Park and we spotted a bear.  Actually two other guys spotted the bear, and we spotted them spotting the bear.  So when we pulled over to see what they were looking at, they told us it was a bear.  I yanked that car over to the shoulder and my husband and daughter grabbed their cameras.

To set the "camera" stage, these aren't your typical point and shoot cameras.  Both my husband and myself are professional photographers.  Because of this, the Teenager has had access to all our equipment since the beginning of time - well, her time.

She got her first big camera, a Nikon D300 as a fluke.  Well, sort of.  It was actually a mistake that she would end up owing her own rather than borrowing ours.  See, The Hubs has sort of an eBay/Craigslist addiction.  He's been off-and-on banned for years.  When we knew we needed to upgrade from a D70 to a second D300, he was on the off-banned list for a short while (he got himself back on right quick).

He "accidentally" bid on two used D300 cameras (I am using the word accidentally sooooo loosely, here), low balling the price on eBay.  Just as we were headed out the door to drive to pick up a D300 in a town an hour away.  As we walked out the door, he told me the "dilemma".

Short story, long.  I retracted his bids, but somehow they didn't retract.

We ended up with three used Nikon D300 cameras.

Mind you, they were a hell of a deal, but still 3 big cameras is one too many.

So we gifted one to the Teenager for Christmas and she uses it daily for her Yearbook class at school.

Okay, back to the bear.

The Teenager pulled out her camera with a lens on it.  When I say lens, think football game sidelines lens.  The really long ones.  She photographs all the sports games at her high school (because the adviser knows she has the equipment) so she knows how to use this thing.  Well, in order to see a bear in the bushes up a hill, you need this lens.

So she's happily photographing away.

Other people are stopping now and looking for the bear.  By this time the Teenager, the Hubs and I are in different spots on the side of the road.  But I wasn't far enough away from my Teenager NOT to hear a woman say to her two little kids:

"Some day when we win the lottery, we can have a big camera like that one and we can take really good pictures.  For right now I'll just use my cell phone."

The Teenager did a fantastic job of keeping her mouth shut.

Her mother, me, not so good.  As the mother walked past me I said, as I pointed to her brand new Samsung 6 Galaxy Edge and held up my old flip phone, "One year of only paying for this, instead of that new phone and the data package, and you can afford a nice camera like that."

Yes, I should have kept my mouth shut.  I fell into her trap.

But really?

I could have said, truthfully, to this young mother, "Her great uncle had to die so she could get that lens."  Because the lens was inherited from an uncle who traveled extensively, who died at age 53.

I could have pointed to the Starbucks cup in her hand and said, "Lay off those for a year and you'll save some cash."

I could have pointed to her Lexus and said, "Buy a Camry instead of a Lexus and you can afford a big camera."

I could have gone so many directions.

But why did she even need to splay her jealousy in the first place?  At my kid.  In front of her kids.

She doesn't know the life I lead any more than I know hers.  She doesn't know everything blooming thing we purchase is used (including the cameras and all the lenses we own).  She doesn't know we eat out a total of three times a year to save money.  She doesn't know my car is 11 years old and has 175,000 miles on it and I'll be damned if I'm going to replace it unless it stops moving forward.

We were two strangers looking for a bear in the bushes.

Get out of my bank statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment