Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Life Without A Smartphone - 9 Reasons Why

I have had a portable phone since way back in the day (like, 1996).  Back then they were not called cell phones, they were called transportables.  It was the size of two bricks and weighed just about as much.  It had a spiral cord that attached the mouthpiece to the unit, almost like a home phone.  It was heavy, it was cumbersome, but, dang that thing got great reception!

When I was pregnant in 1998, we got ourselves a smaller phone for the Big Day.  It lost some of it's signal oomph, but it was smaller and more convenient.  I'm not sure when, maybe 2001, we got ourselves the flip phone.  Now were were living it up and we looked damn cool doing it.  Flipping it open to talk to anyone at anytime.  Heck, sometimes the Hubs and I would talk to each other - in the same store - "I thought you were staying in electrical".  "No, I moved to plumbing to get a washer for the faucet."  "Well, I'm in gardening, so meet me in flooring when you're done."  Stuff like that.

Life changed when we implemented texting into the program.  Now I didn't have to talk - I could write.  "Bring milk", "Running late", "Traffic sucks".  Short, sweet and to the point because I could type a character a minute with the numerical keypad doo-hickey.  Anything more intelligent would require a qwerty board.

So we did that (to get more intelligent).  The Hubs still has his; mine got "lost" (meaning it fell behind the crack in the back seat of  the car) for a month until I had to buy a new one with qwerty and a touch screen.  (Murphy's Law - found the old phone a week after the purchase).  Still no data package.  Still talk and text.  Still a crappy phone camera.  No wifi.  Totally basic.

And I hope the thing lasts FOREVER because I don't want a smartphone.

Say what?

In 2015?  Nope.

In this age of information?  All the answers are at your fingertips.  You can be humming a song in your head, wonder who the original artist is, ask Siri, and have the answer in seconds.

And I don't want any part of it.

Here's some reason I'm hoping to stay off this Transportable Information Highway

  • It's a trap.  Once I get locked in at $30 a month, I am locked in forever.  There's no going back to the old-style phone.
  • It's going to cost an extra $30 a month.  Times two (myself and the Hubs) = $720 MORE than what I pay right now.  FOREVER.
  • I don't want my memory stuck on a phone.  I don't want to rely on Siri or all access Google to answer every one of my questions.  I want to have to remember stuff.
  • I am not that important.  I don't need to know the moment I get an email,  Or someone updates their Facebook status.  Or someone replies to my blog.
  • I don't want to be connected 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  My boss knows I turn my phone off and I'm unavailable except for working hours.  IF there's an issue, call the house (in ten years, there's been ONE).
  • I don't want all my photos in a phone that I never download or print.  Yes, its super easy to snap a photo of my kid at a concert, but then what?
  • I don't want ALL my data accessible.  From photos to emails to texts to updates to bank statements to open passwords on all my sites.  What happens when I leave my phone at Dennys? (Not that that's never happened, but it did - and I didn't have to worry about any of that.)
  • I don't want to have to upgrade every six months to get the latest and greatest and updated.  What I have now will work as well in three years.  And I don't have to worry about programs becoming obsolete.
  • In line with updating every six seconds, I don't want to have to learn a whole new operating system, or change files, or apps, or whatever else is on those things.  Or wonder Apple or Droid (or wonder if that is even a thing?).

Bottom line:  I don't want to get caught in the trap. I mean, where do we go from here?  From a land of constantly being connected, of having everything at our fingertips, yet still not feeling in control of our lives.  Sometimes I watch parents volunteering at their kid's school, out at recess, and the parents are doing nothing but checking their phones.  For what?  

Be in the moment.

 I, personally, don't want to be that parent/wife/person.  I know I would be, so I don't even want to go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment